Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Internet Presence after Death

Think about all of your possessions online. Your iTunes library(worth who knows how much) your e-mail accounts, facebook accounts, passwords, blogs, etc. Well, what happens to all of these things after you die? Do they go to someone? Do they disappear into an internet black-hole. How do we deal with possessions and perhaps things of monetary value once we move on from this earth? 

http://blogs.usatoday.com/technologylive/2009/04/i-dont-mean-to-sound-morbid-but-were-all-going-to-kick-the-bucket-someday-if-you-set-up-a-will-or-trust-your-house.html

Well according to this article in USAToday, new companies are cropping up like Legacy Locker which are online safety deposit boxes for everything from "mail addresses and social networking profiles to sensitive online banking and investment accounts"

Is it a worthwhile investment? Do any of you care what happens to your online assets after you hit the bucket?

2 comments:

  1. So this is kind of like an e-will? I don't see it being very practical. I don't know if people care enough about their twitters to store away their passwords for their kids or relatives if they die. Seems kinda inconsequential to me. I also don't know If I'd trust an online service to keep track of things like Quicken and programs like that. Doesn't look like it will catch on, but who knows? Stranger things have worked in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eh, I think this is kind of...off. If i were to die, i would just want someone to cancel everything. Having a facebook after death seems morbid to me. I dont even like watching a movie or tv show when i know the actor has died. I cant explain it, I think its odd. I dont know if this "e-will" thing will work out, but we shall see, andy is right, stranger things have happened.

    ReplyDelete