Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Someone call PETA?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2009-04-06-pigs_N.htm

"Military researchers have dressed live pigs in body armor and strapped them into Humvee simulators that were then blown up with explosives to study the link between roadside bomb blasts and brain injury."

...My initial reaction to this story was to laugh. I mean the thought of little piggies dressed in military armor is kind of funny. To me at least. But I suppose I should preface that reaction with the fact I'm not a huge animal lover. But then I started thinking about it, and these military researchers are killing hundreds of pigs to decide if body armor causes soldiers more brain injury when they are subjected to blasts. I mean is that seriously a question worth risking all of these animals for? 
I'm not really sure how I feel. My initial reaction is OBVIOUSLY when a soldier becomes victim of a roadside bomb on strong explosive, he is going to undergoes  serious injury. Sadly, that is the nature of war. I'm interested to know what others think-- Is the military justified?
And isn't it a bit questionable to begin with that they are using pigs in comparison to humans and their bodies slash brains. Is it even a relevant experiment anyways...it's a pig! not a human! I'm not a biology major but how alike are we?

No comments:

Post a Comment